Just because you’re vegan doesn’t mean that you should miss out on pancakes this Shrove Tuesday.
But how do you make the perfect pancakes?
The concept of the perfect pancake varies from person to person - maybe you prefer thin crepe style pancakes? Or fluffy American types? Or preferably something healthier?
No matter your preference, we’ve got you covered - this is how to make the best vegan pancakes, three ways.
From vegan cook Lauren Toyota of Hot for Food, we have the perfect easy vegan crepe recipe that you need.
Perfect for sweet or savoury applications, this is what you’ll need to make your pancakes:
- Two cups (256g) of plain flour
- One and a half tablespoons of granulated sugar
- One and a half teaspoons of baking powder
- Two tablespoons of melted vegan butter
- Two and two third cups (631ml) of non dairy milk
This is the method you’ll need to follow:
- In a large bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients: flour, sugar and baking powder
- Add the melted vegan butter and start whisking
- Drizzle in your milk and continue whisking - the batter should be relatively thin and loose
- Get out a pan and set it over medium heat
- Pour in your pancake batter and swirl it around so that it coats the bottom of the pan all over
- After about one to two minutes, you’ll notice the sides of the crepe coming away from the edges of the pan - then is when you should flip it
- Cook for another minute on the other side
From here, you can choose to either go the savoury route or the sweet route - or both!
If fluffy, American style pancakes are more your calling, then worry not - BBC Food has you covered.
This is what you’ll need:
- 125 grams of self raising flour
- Two tablespoons of caster sugar
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 150ml of non dairy milk
- A quarter of a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Four teaspoons of sunflower oil for frying
The method for these style pancakes are as follows:
- Mix together your dry ingredients in a large bowl - the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt and once mixed, add the milk and vanilla extract and combine until smooth
- Place a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add two teaspoons of the oil and wipe it around with a wad of kitchen paper
- Pour a small ladleful of batter into each side of the pan and spread the pancakes out with the back of a spoon - you’re aiming to make a 10cm diameter pancake
- Cook for around a minute, or until you see bubbles popping on the surface and the edges look dry and a little shiny - carefully flip your pancake and continue to cook for another minute until its light, fluffy and a pale golden brown
Top with syrup and berries or bacon for an authentic American treat.
The healthy one
If you’re planning on loading up your pancakes with all kinds of toppings, you might be conscious of keeping the pancake itself on the healthier side.
From the Sweet Simple Vegan, we have a healthy, three ingredient vegan pancake.
Described an as “easy, no-fuss pancake recipe that is filling, comforting and does not skimp on flavour one bit” this is what you need and how to make them.
Your ingredients are:
- Three cups (384g) of rolled oats or oat flour
- Two cups (473ml) of plant based milk
- 2 medium spotty bananas
The method is as follows:
- Blitz up the oats in a blender until you’ve formed a flour
- Add your milk and bananas to the blender and give that a blitz until a batter is formed
- Head a non-stick pan on medium low and pour in small pancake sized dollops of batter
- Cook until bubbles appear around the edges, then flip and good until golden
From here you can add whatever toppings your heart desires.