With the current proliferation of great bars and pubs it can be hard to stand out.
Thankfully, with some chalk, a blank sign and little bit of that sharp Scottish wit, you can get people's attention.
Scotland is filled with bartanders who seem to moonlight as amateur comedians and so we end up with some of the best - and funniest - pub signs around.
We've scoured the country - and social media - to pick out some of the best we could find for your amusement.
Just remember drinking alcohol can cause memory loss, or worse memory loss (Don't worry the actual pub signs are much funnier).
1. It always helps to read the small print...
2. Bar staff in Edinburgh's World's End seem to have the answer to all your problems...
3. Everyone is a critic...
4. As they say in Cheers "Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot."
5. It is hard to argue with such brilliant logic
6. We admit we laughed at this one a little too heartily
7. Seems like a fair way to deal with the issue.
8. This Edinburgh pub provides a valuable service especially during this long month of shopping.
9. Now this one is just funny
10. Well they do say drinking alcohol is the quickest way to forget
11. Must have been a Friday
12. Somebody has been watching old Oxfam adverts...
13. Even the Olympic Games were fair game
14. Nice use of an internet meme
15. We are pretty sure this one might not be Scottish but we had to include it because we love the sentiment
16. Finally, this brass plaque in Edinburgh shows that the comedy genius of pub signs doesn't end with chalk boards