1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender.
2. Drain the potatoes and mash them with the butter, salt, pepper and baking powder.
3. Mix in the flour to make a stiff dough. The exact amount of flour will depend on the type of potatoes used.
4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to around 5 to 6 mm thickness.
5. Cut into rounds, use a saucer or small tea plate as a guide.
6. Prick all over with a fork and score the dough to mark 4 equal wedges.
7. Cook in a heavy pan or griddle which has been very lightly greased.
8. Cook each side for about three minutes on a medium heat until the scones are golden brown.
• 10 of the most popular Scottish recipes on Pinterest for you to check out
• If you want to see this recipe and more like it, visit Peter Hogan's blog at www.hubpages.com