1. Melt your butter in a pan over a low heat and leave to cool.
2. Whisk together the cream cheese, sour cream and icing sugar until smooth, then drizzle in milk as needed until you have a liquid consistency for drizzling – this is your sauce.
3. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in another mixing bowl
4. Beat the eggs and granulated sugar in another mixing bowl until pale yellow, then beat in the buttermilk, melted butter, food colouring, vanilla and vinegar.
5. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and gently fold until just mixed. Tip: avoid over-mixing which would lead to a less fluffy texture in your finished pancakes!
6. Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-low heat and pour on ladles of batter, spaced evenly apart
7. Cook for 3 min or until bubbles on the surface pop slowly and edges begin to firm
8. Flip and cook for another 1 to 2 min or until the bottoms are set and the pancakes are cooked through
9. Repeat with the remaining batter
10. Drizzle with the cream cheese icing and syrup and enjoy
Top chef reveals secrets and tips to making perfect pancakes