1. Pre-heat the oven at 180 C
2. Soak the dry bread in milk until soft.
3. In a pan add the extra virgin olive oil, the chopped onion, and the garlic. Cook for a few minutes.
4. Next, add the tomatoes, the basil, and salt and pepper to season the dish. Cook for 10 minutes on a low heat, ensuring that the mixture doesn't stick, then put to one side.
5. Drain the bread of excess milk and mix together thoroughly with the pork mince the beef mince. Add the salt and pepper to season then add the parmesan cheese and the egg.
6. Take a good handful of the mixture and shape into an oval in the palm of your hand. Make an indent in the centre and put the mozzarella, mortadella/cooked ham inside and then mould the rest of the mixture around it. Continue this process until the mixture is used up aiming to get evenly sized meat loaves.
7. Place the tomato sauce in a tray and place the pollpetone in. Cover with tinfoil and place in a pre-heated oven at 180 C for 25-30 minutes depending if it is an electric or fan oven.
Best served with:
Mixed salad with seasonal vegetables, potatoes or pasta.
• Ciao Napoli is open through Monday to Saturday for lunch and dinner, and is based a minute’s walk from Union Street, the city’s main road. To find out more about Ciao Napoli please visit: www.ciaonapoli.co.uk or call 01224 213223.