For the wood pigeon
- Remove the skin and sinew from the pigeon breast.
- Season lightly with the salt, pepper and oil
- Light the wood chips in a house hold smoker and once the chips are smoking place the pigeon in on a cooling rack
- Cold smoke the pigeon for 10 minutes
- Remove from the smoker and pan fry for 1 minute on each side
- Allow to rest the carve into thin slices
For the salad:
- Pick the salad leave and wash then spin dry
- Slice the ciabatta into thin croutons and cook in the oven at 150 oc for 10 minutes or until golden brown
- Skin the water melon and dive into 1cm cubes
- Dice the feta cheese into 1cm cubes
- Shave the radish finely on a mandolin or with a very sharp knife
For the sweet pickle:
- Boil all of the ingredients together and reduce slightly
- Allow to cool and use to dress the watermelon and salad leaves
For the Feta cheese dressing:
- Boil the cream and milk together.
- Add the cheese and melt
- Place into a food processor and blitz until smooth
- Allow to cool and used as a base for the plate
To assemble the salad:
On the plate spread a small amount of the feta cheese puree
Dress the leaves and melon with the pickle and build it on top of the feta puree.
Add the dice melon and feta cheese then the slices of smoked pigeon.
Drizzle a little more pickle over the top of the salad and serve
Picture: Borthwick Castle smoked wood pigeon salad, Derek Johnstone